St Nicholas Church Castlelyons
Built in 1845 by Fr. Patrick Duggan on a site in the Perrot estate given by the Kent family who have a tomb in the grounds, this church replaced an older thatched penal church. It was renovated in the 1870′s by Fr. William O’Brien, when a Gothic roof and belfry were added. Father’s Ferris and McSweeney are interred in the nave. The well known author Canon O’Leary (An t’Athair Peadair O’ Laoghaire) is buried in the church yard. Some interesting features of the church are :
•The external water font with skull and bone, coffin, sands of time, cherubs, bell and rope and the words : Cum sit vita brevis discito bene mori (since life is short learn to die well).
•The font at the side entrance made in 1728 by Tim O’Brien.
•The stone inscription in Irish in commeration of the penal church built in 1774, near the church gates.
•The priests grave’s.
•The Maume monument.
•The tombs and graves of the Kents and Mackays.
•The Marian statue.